Cambridge, MA, USA
Position: Full Time Job Description
Auto req ID: 27227BR
School/Unit: University Operations Services
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
- Works with laboratories to integrate safety into laboratory operations and promotes safe work practices based on regulatory requirements, best management practice guidance and University Policy. Assists laboratories in performing risk assessments and makes recommendations on appropriate lab safety practices.
- Conducts inspections, compliance reviews and hazards assessments of research laboratories, general science labs, research animal facilities and other support facilities. Prepares and provides timely peer-reviewed reports, assists in and monitors corrective actions, as necessary. Consults with Principal Investigators and laboratory personnel on inspection findings and provides appropriate recommendations based on regulatory compliance and best practice guidance.
- Reviews grant applications, animal, biological and general experimental protocols, and makes recommendations consistent with program guidance.
- Maintains and updates records of laboratory inspections, internal and external correspondence and investigations.
- Prepares and conducts training for Laboratory Safety including biological, chemical, general, and physical protection in laboratories, hazardous materials shipping, and other customized trainings.
- Prepares, updates, and drafts policies, guidelines, and procedures for biological, chemical, and physical hazards and processes.
- Assists in the response and investigation of laboratory-related accidents or exposures.
- Tests work areas for air quality, biological, toxic and other hazards. Interprets sample/inspection results, makes decisions on findings, reports results to clients and maintain records. Use independent judgment to evaluate potential exposure to hazardous materials, physical hazards and/or conditions. Provides practical and feasible solutions to control exposures and ensures compliance with University guidelines, best management practices and occupational and environmental regulations.
- Participates in special projects and assists in the provision of EHSEM services as requested.
- Interprets and maintains proficiency in regulations, standards, guidelines and trends in laboratory safety and environmental health and safety; anticipates and evaluates their impact on clients; communicates requirements to EHSEM and client management.
- Provides emergency response support (24 hour) throughout the University (on a rotating basis). Emergencies include: radiation, biological/blood spill, chemical/oil/waste release, pest control, personal injury, fire, etc.
- Maintains strong collaborative and professional relationships with the EHS&EM staff and Principal Investigators, researchers and clients while actively promoting a culture of safety.
- Working knowledge of academic research laboratory processes, equipment and facilities, and ability to communicate complex technical issues to diverse clients is required. Must have collaborative customer service attitude and skills, exceptional written and oral communication. Must have ability to work independently and as a team member. Eligible to work in the US.
- Must take initiative, be organized, able to manage multiple priorities to meet deadline requirements, work independently and as part of a team. Strong interpersonal and excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail are required. Must possess excellent time management and organizational abilities.Candidate is required to participate in 24-hour emergency response activities.
- Must be proficient in technology use; database development, querying, word processing, spreadsheet development, using MS Office to accomplish work-related tasks is required. Demonstrated ability to perform library and Internet searches to collect technical and regulatory information required for decision-making.
Additional Qualifications: Bachelors Degree in safety, industrial hygiene, lab safety, microbiology, molecular biology, biology or other related discipline is preferred, with relevant experience in laboratory safety. Professional certification or eligibility for certification (Certified Safety Professional, Registered Biosafety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist) desired; experience in a University research environment or EHS program strongly preferred.
The Laboratory Safety Officer is responsible for supporting the implementation of the Harvard University Laboratory Safety Programs. This position is under the supervision of Associate Director for Laboratory Safety Biosafety and will perform duties in Laboratory Safety in a multi-disciplinary Environmental Health and Safety and Emergency Management (EHSEM) environment with strong emphasis on research laboratory safety (biological and chemical safety, occupational safety & health, industrial hygiene and radiation protection). The primary purpose of this position is to provide services directly to the clients through field consultations, technical assistance, training, data collection and analysis. This position also provides emergency response support on a team rotation basis. As a member of the EHSEM team, works together with the Laboratory Safety staff to assist with the development of university-wide biosafety and lab safety programs. Application Info
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/twthh67 2012-07-26 22:13:01 Back Company Apply